Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chapter 11: Things Aren't Always What They Seem


Koro was still in shock several minutes after Wonder left her in the Rook Museum. This was exactly what she was afraid of happening. She should have explained things as soon as they met, but she was afraid of how Wonder might react. She definitely should have broached the subject when Magic Rock and Mr. Trinkets joined them. They seemed to come to an understanding and maybe they could have helped explain things to Wonder.
Koro knew she could sit in the dark for hours thinking about all the ways she had messed up, but there wasn’t time for that now. She needed to get to Magic Rock somehow and tell him what had happened. She quickly came up against her first problem when she realized the door was shut and door knobs were not designed with Rook feet in mind. No matter how hard she tried Koro could get the door open. She was stuck in the Rook Museum.
“This is no time to panic,” she told herself, though she suspected this might actually be the perfect time to panic. She sat perfectly still trying to force an answer into her brain. She was concentrating with all her might when her feathers were ruffled by a slight breeze.
“A breeze?” She looked around the room but couldn’t see much in the dark. “If there’s a breeze then there must be a way out.”
She took to the air to search the room and find the source of the draft. She was flooded with relief when she found several small windows set into the wall near the ceiling and one of them was open just enough for her to squeeze through.
It wasn’t a perfect solution because she still couldn’t get back in the tower to search for Wonder, but it was better than being stuck in that awful museum for the rest of her life. From way up here at least she could easily keep an eye on what was happening on the ground without alerting any suspicion. She desperately wanted to talk to Magic Rock, but she found him on the steps of the tower talking to several Vendors and she didn’t dare risk exposing herself to them.
She flew a few laps around the tower and made a note of the exits and then perched on a ledge above a side door to think about what to do.

***

Inside the tower Wonder was still turning the Crystal Heart over in her hand and sifting through everything Gwendolyn had said. She knew Gwendolyn was telling her truth about not being able to put the world back together, but it wasn’t easy to think about.
Wonder also thought about the advice Gwendolyn had given her about trusting her friends. She thought about Koro and if she was really her friend. Wonder just wasn’t sure after what she had seen. The voice in the museum said that the Rook are evil, and Koro hadn’t tried to deny it. Even Magic Rock and Mr. Trinkets were terrified when they saw Koro, and they had talked about how terrible the Rook were. Of course, they had also traveled together after Wonder introduced them and even seemed to get along. They never did tell Wonder the truth about the Rook, which made her question what the truth was.
Maybe Koro was different. She certainly didn’t act like she wanted to destroy everything. And she had mentioned several times that she never really fit in with her family. Maybe she really did just want a friend.
“I’ve made a huge mistake.” Wonder admitted to herself. She resolved to find her way back to the Rook Museum and talk to Koro. She still wasn’t sure what was true, but she would decide for herself and not base her feelings on some voice in the wall.
Wonder climbed back down the vines and walked out the door into the familiar hallway. She tried to retrace her steps as best she could. The run down to Room 23 had been a bit of a blur, but she made her way back to the Mezzanine with relatively little trouble. She opened the door to the Rook Museum and cautiously poked her head inside.
“Koro?” She asked the dark room. “Koro, are you still here?”
No reply.
“Come out, Koro, please. I need to talk to you.”
Still nothing.
Wonder stepped all the way into the room and pulled out her Firefly Jar. She checked the museum, avoiding looking at the other Rook-related artifacts as much as possible. Koro was nowhere to be found and Wonder was at a loss until she looked up and noticed the open window. Her spirits fell. “I’ve probably frightened her off and she’s flown away to where I’ll never find her again.” She stepped back outside and sat down in the hallway to think about her next move.
“Koro’s gone, maybe for good. Everyone else is waiting for me outside to tell them how I’m going to save them and fix Ur, but now I know I can’t do that.” She let out an exasperated sigh and leaned back against the wall. “This is a fine mess.” Further down the hall she noticed a set of stairs leading down and got an idea. She thought up her new plan while she was walking down the stairs.
‘Maybe there’s another exit I can try. If I can sneak out a side entrance I might be able to get Magic Rock’s attention and talk to him alone. He always has good advice.’
This set of stairs ran straight and long right down to the ground floor. She inched open the door at the bottom and found it opened directly onto a street adjacent to the one the Vendors were waiting on. She stepped silently out and closed the door behind her. Now she just needed to figure out how to get Magic Rock’s attention without alerting anyone else.
Wonder had only been considering what to do for a moment or two when she heard a rustling noise in a tree nearby. She looked up into the branches but didn’t see anything.
“Koro? Is that you?”
The street was silent for a second before she heard Koro’s voice from the tree. “Please don’t run away again.”
“I’m not going anywhere.” Wonder was so relieved to hear Koro’s voice she almost shouted, but then she remembered the feeling of betrayal and it cooled her excitement. “Why did you lie to me, Koro?”
Koro’s large, black bird head peeked from around the trunk of the tree. “I’m sorry. I really am. I just thought if you knew what I was you would run me off like everyone else.” She sounded sincere and Wonder’s anger lost some of its edge.
“I didn’t even know what a Rook was, why would I have cared?”
“Because everyone hates the Rook! If I had told you what my people did what would you have thought of me?”
Wonder considered that. “I don’t know, but it would have been nice to have gotten the chance to make up my mind. You were my only friend; I’m sure I would have taken your word over some old stories about what happened in the past.”
“You’re probably right, I was just so afraid of being left alone again. You were my only chance at having a real friend. The Rook kicked me out because I didn’t want to attack the Glitchen, but the Glitchen only ran or tried to attack me because I’m a Rook. I spent most of my life on my own, hiding and watching. I thought the Giants waking up would be the best thing that could happen. I would disappear and nothing would matter anymore, but then I was still here and everyone else was gone. I was more alone than ever! When I saw you just waking up I thought, ‘Here’s my chance. Maybe this is the start of something better.’”
Wonder was dumbfounded. Koro had always changed the subject when Wonder asked about her family. She just assumed Koro missed them and it was too sad to talk about. She had never considered that anyone might be happier in this new version of Ur. “Oh… wow. I don’t know what to say. I’m really sorry, Koro. I didn’t know.”
Koro dismissed it with a flap of her wing. “I know, I know. It’s not your fault. I should have told you. When you’re forced to live your life as an outcast I guess it makes you paranoid, but that’s no excuse. I just wish—“ but Koro never finished her sentence.
“Well, what do we have here?” Uncle Friendly stepped out from behind a large root near the end of the street looking very pleased with himself. “I heard voices and thought I would come investigate. I’m glad I did. Conspiring with the Rook? I expected more of you, Wonder.”
“No, Uncle Friendly, you don’t understand!” Wonder protested, but Uncle Friendly cut her off.
“I understand enough! The Rook are the enemies of this world and if you’re conspiring with them then that makes you the enemy as well.”
“But—“
“Now, I know you’re young. You’re still learning about this place, but you need to understand: the Rook are evil and they want nothing more than to see this world destroyed. Now, I’ll give you a chance to redeem yourself.” Uncle Friendly was towering over Wonder staring into her with his gigantic eye. “What did you find in the tower? Did you learn how to call the Giants back?”
Wonder didn’t know what to do. She was feeling panicked and her brain wasn’t working. All she could squeak out was, “No, not exactly.”
“Not exactly? Well, what does that mean?”
And then it was over. Wonder was too scared to think straight and started recounting everything that had happened in Room 23 including Gwendolyn’s plan to wake the Giants. Luckily she was so frightened she jumbled most of it and forgot some key parts, like the Crystal Heart, but Uncle Friendly got enough to understand that she wasn’t going to put the Giants back to sleep, she was going to wake them up and end this world for good.
He stared down at Wonder for a long time in shock until his surprise turned into a self-satisfied smirk. He pulled something from his pocket. “I don’t blame you, Wonder. You’re too young to understand what’s going on and the Rook have twisted your mind. But I can’t let you destroy this world. I have to do what I can to protect it.” He pressed something into Wonder’s hand.
Wonder looked down and saw what looked like a piece of paper. “What is—“
Uncle Friendly squeezed Wonder's hand around the paper and with a pop she disappeared.
Koro squawked and flapped her wings in the tree, but Uncle Friendly just looked up at her and smiled. “Go back to your friends and let them know your plan failed. Uncle Friendly is defending Ur now, and he won’t go down without a fight.” With that he turned and walked back toward the front of the tower.



No comments:

Post a Comment