Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chapter 1: First Steps - NOTES





o   Before I started posting this story I got on the Glitch forums and asked people’s opinions on doing a single gender version of the story vs. doing two different versions or trying some gender neutral alternative. My thinking was that gender and sex don’t play a role in Glitch at all so I wanted this character to embody that and for readers to be able to put themselves in Wonder’s shoes. The debate got a little bigger than I intended but there were a lot of good points made. In the end I realized there were no perfect solutions so I decided to do two different versions because it seemed less confusing than using completely unfamiliar gender neutral pronouns.

o   I also purposely left Wonder’s physical description as vague as possible for the same reason. I never actually say what Wonder looks like or what clothes he/she is wearing so that readers would fill in the blanks on their own. Incidentally Wonder is intended to be naked in the beginning until she/he finds clothes later in the story.

o   I had a lot of fun writing this part of the story. Probably the most fun because it was entirely light and comical and I knew things would get serious later on. I tried to channel some of the ridiculousness that Tiny Speck was so good at including in the game. Mostly I just tried to imagine what it would be like to find yourself fully formed with some idea of what life was about, but without the benefit of Magic Rock’s guidance in the early stages of our lives. Wonder didn’t get a tutorial before he/she woke up.

o   If you look at the tags at the bottom of the posts I tried to include the prominent regions and streets included in each chapter, even if they’re not named in the text. I never stated it, but Wonder woke up in Middle Valley Clearing, in Groddle Forest. I chose this because I’m fairly certain it’s where my Glitch woke up. I know for a fact it was Groddle Forest, but it may have been another street near Middle Valley Clearing, like Groddle Forest Junction or Pasha’sPlace.

o   There would certainly be plenty of things for Wonder to be curious about upon waking up. I chose to have Wonder focus on a Musicblock first because it seems to me like such an iconic item from Glitch that it’s instantly recognizable to any player, even noobs like me. Which Musicblock is it? I don’t know, umm… how about BB-4?

o   As soon as I started this story I knew I wanted to build a company around Wonder and I knew it would include a Rook. I love the look of ravens, crows and other black birds, and I was always intrigued by the idea of the Rook. I figured a Glitch who didn’t know anything about the world would have no reason not to befriend a Rook as long as it wasn’t trying to kill him.

o   Koro mentions that her name is not really a name, but more of a rank. This was a concept of the Rook social structure that I never fleshed out in the story because it didn’t really matter. “Koro,” as you probably realized, is an anagram of “Rook.” Almost nothing is known about the Rook so I started thinking about how their society might develop. They seem like a very single-minded, militaristic society so I thought maybe they wouldn’t have names because individuality is shunned (which is why they hate the Glitchen), so I imagined they would be identified solely by their ranks. Again, not being very creative, each rank would be an anagram of “Rook” with “Koro” being the lowest rank and “Rook” being the highest. Koro-the-character’s values didn’t align with the rest of the Rook so they cast her out and she remained at the lowest level her entire life and was never given another name.

o   So I know the bit with Koro naming Wonder is maybe a little cheesey, but I got stuck on the name Wonder really early on and I wanted to work it in. Cheesey as it is it also fits the character. It also put me in mind of Wander from Shadow of the Colossus, another hero traveling a strangely empty world looking for answers. Also, by some miraculous coincidence, there wasn’t an actual Glitch avatar named Wonder. There were several that used the word “wonder” in some form in their name, but none just named “Wonder.” That was a big plus because I didn’t want there to be any confusion on whether this was an original character or someone else’s avatar.

o   Every Glitch knows that jumping is an essential and enjoyable part of life. I used to jump endlessly for no reason. It’s so much more fun that just walking from place to place.

No comments:

Post a Comment