Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chapter 10: Room 23 - NOTES





o   This chapter is another reason I took some liberties with the layout of the tower. The Rook Museum and Room 23 are not actually accessible from the same entrance.

o   I loved Room 23 and the concept of the ghosts around Ur when I played the game so I really wanted to work them in somehow. In the very early idea stages I knew Wonder would need some mysterious “guru” to give him/her guidance on what to do, but I wasn’t sure who. I actually asked on the forums and got a wide range of answers, but I had already sort of settled on Gwendolyn. It helps that Room 23 already felt super mysterious.

o   I came to the conclusion very early on about how I wanted this story to end. This kind of turned into a metaphor for the actual closing of Glitch, which wasn’t really my intention, but it happens. I spent so much time on the forums after the shutdown reading posts about “how can we start Glitch back up?” or “why didn’t this work,” or “I feel like Tiny Speck didn’t really try everything to make Glitch work,” and it started to bother me. I feel like it was extremely obvious that the people behind the game loved it as much as the players did. If they didn’t why would they still be on the forums posting things or putting together art books and soundtracks; why would they have released any of the multitude of updates that they released before the very end just so we could see what they were working on? People that don’t care about their work don’t go out of their way to show it off or preserve it. Sometimes what a few people love isn’t sustainable as a business, and that sucks, but it’s the reality of the world at large and the gaming industry in particular. I know everyone grieves in their own way (some of us write lengthy fan-fics) but Glitch was so loved that it deserves a dignified send-off and the developers deserve to be praised for their work, not berated for “not trying hard enough.” I believe if there was something else to be done they would have done it, and if they did shut down without exploring every option that’s none of my business. I played for free and I loved it, but things sometimes end.  I don’t want it to start back up and I don’t want to play a recreation of it somewhere else. It could never be the same. I would rather remember Glitch as this one amazing game that showed up for a little while in my life and then was gone before I could really appreciate it. I realize that the people complaining are not the majority and for every negative post I read there were a hundred positive ones, but sometimes those negative ones stick in your mind more clearly. So for everyone who talked about how much they loved the game and tried to preserve it in your own way (I loved seeing all of the crafty creations that people made) I thank you for being an example of how to say goodbye to something you love.

o   The musicblock Gwendolyn give Wonder is the Musicblock GNG, of course.

o   The Notice the Unnoticeable quest was one of my favorite quests in Glitch. I loved it for its abstract parameters and the underlying sadness in such a happy, silly world. The first time I found a Phantom Glitch it literally made me jump because I wasn’t expecting it and I didn’t notice it at first. I made it my mission to find all of them and receive my Faded Heart. Eventually I did and I wrote a short horror story around it that I’ll post on this blog as well. The Faded Heart was one of my favorite mementos and one of the few things I kept with my after the shutdown announcement. I liked it so much that I sewed a real one out of felt for myself. Once I decided to use Gwendolyn as Wonder’s guide I got the idea that if the Phantom Glitchen could give you a Faded Heart, Gwendolyn’s must be much more powerful so I invented the Crystal Heart to match her.

No comments:

Post a Comment