Monday, March 4, 2013

Chapter 13: A Failed Conspiracy


Days passed without any sign from the Tower and Magic Rock and Mr. Trinkets were growing anxious. Uncle Friendly shrugged off their questions about Wonder, stating that the tower was a confusing place and she was likely just lost. He never mentioned their confrontation to anyone.
“I’m worried about Wonder,” Mr. Trinkets whispered to Magic Rock a few days after she had entered the tower.
“I know, so am I. She should have found her way out by now one way or another,” Magic Rock whispered back. Uncle Friendly had become irritated at the mention of Wonder and they didn’t want him over hearing their conversation.
“I’ve been thinking. Why couldn’t one of us go in after her?”
Magic Rock shook his head. “You heard what Uncle Friendly said; no one but a Glitch can get in the tower.”
“Yes, that’s what he said, but what about Koro? She was in one of Wonder’s bags and she obviously made it inside.”
“True, but I imagine it was because Wonder took her in. And anyway, Uncle Friendly rarely leaves the front steps and I doubt he’ll be too keen to send in a rescue party.” Magic Rock watched Uncle Friendly pacing in front of the tower door.
“He has been acting strange lately, hasn’t he?” Mr. Trinkets asked. “I don’t know if he’s really up to something or I’m just feeling suspicious, but I don’t trust him. I think I’d like to take a walk around the tower and clear my head a bit.”
Magic Rock nodded. “Yeah, OK. I’ll stay here and keep an eye on things.”
Mr. Trinkets stood up and shuffled through the crowd of Vendors around the side of the tower. He tried to act like nothing was wrong even though he was beginning to feel very uncomfortable there. He shambled around the side and began inspecting the tower base. There was a door here, but it didn’t do him much good as it was locked and had a sign reading “Coming Soon” hanging on it. Whatever was planned for this entrance was never finished so he kept walking.
Around the next corner he still didn’t find anything out of the ordinary, but he tried the door here too. This one also seemed to be locked, though he thought he could see a hallway on the other side through the dark windows. He jiggled the handle a few more times before getting exasperated and moving on.
The last side of the tower looked much like the other three, and like the others it had a door that he suspected he wouldn’t be able to open, but he never got the chance to try because as he was walking up to it he heard a voice from the trees whisper his name.
“Psst. Mr. Trinkets! Mr. Trinkets! Over here! In the trees!”
Mr. Trinkets turned toward the voice, but he didn’t see anyone standing among the trees. “Hello? Where are you?”
“Shhh! Keep your voice down! Look up, Mr. Trinkets.”
He did as instructed and there, among the branches of the tree closest to him, was Koro. She looked half-crazed, eyes darting side to side like she was looking for someone, but it was definitely Koro.
“Koro, what are you doing up there?” Mr. Trinkets asked in a whisper. “Where’s Wonder?”
“Wonder’s gone! That big fat slug with the tie sent her away!”
Mr. Trinkets tried to process this. “What are you talking about? You mean Uncle Friendly? What do you mean he sent Wonder away? Wonder never came out of the tower.”
“Yes she did. She came out days ago! She came out of this door and talked to me and then that monster showed up and yelled at her and asked her about the tower and then POOF! she was gone, just like that!”
Mr. Trinkets wasn’t really sure what to make of all this and it didn’t help that Koro was so panicked. “Koro, you’ve got to calm down and tell me what happened. I can’t help if I don’t know what’s going on.”
“I can’t! He’ll hear me! I almost flew away for good when he told me to, but I stayed because I didn’t know what else to do. Wonder’s gone and I don’t know where he sent her. I only stayed because I thought you guys might know what to do, but I couldn’t risk getting caught.”
“It’s OK, Koro. No one’s going to catch you.” He thought for a moment. “Let’s move to a different street. No one will hear us and you can tell me everything that happened. Then I can go back and tell Magic Rock and we’ll figure out what to do next.”
Koro nodded and led him two streets away just to be safe.

Once Koro calmed down a bit she told Mr. Trinkets everything she could remember about what happened in the tower and afterward. She recalled something about Wonder’s conversation with Uncle Friendly, but she never got the full story of Room 23 from Wonder so she didn’t know all of the details; she only knew that Wonder’s plan had changed and she wanted to wake the Giants up, not put them back to sleep. Mr. Trinkets seemed a little upset at that, but without knowing the whole story he was determined to keep an open mind until he could discuss things with Magic Rock.
Mr. Trinkets thanked Koro and before he went back to the front of the tower he told her to stay nearby and be on the lookout for either himself or Magic Rock to return soon. She cawed an agreement and flew back into the trees to hide.
When Mr. Trinkets returned he found everything exactly as he had left it. Magic Rock looked up as he approached.
“Find anything interesting?” Magic Rock asked, slightly teasing.
“Yes, actually, I did,” and Mr. Trinkets proceeded to recount his meeting with Koro as quickly and quietly as possible.
Magic Rock was stunned to hear what had happened between Wonder and Uncle Friendly, but he quickly made up his mind. “We can’t let on that anything is wrong. I’m not sure what he’s capable of and I don’t want to wake up one day to find myself teleported halfway across Ur as well. We can do more good here while we try to come up with some sort of plan.”

The days dragged on with no word from Wonder and it was beginning to look more and more like she wasn’t coming back. Magic Rock and Mr. Trinkets occasionally made trips to speak with Koro, but the more they talked the less they were sure of what to do. They tried to make sense of the little bit that Koro heard during the exchange between Uncle Friendly and Wonder, but they couldn’t understand her new plan. They were trying to save the world, why would Wonder want to end it?
With nothing to go on Magic Rock decided to change tactics. He and Mr. Trinkets began spending more time talking to the Vendors; trying to feel them out about Uncle Friendly’s new role as leader. Unfortunately the Vendors seemed more than happy with the way Uncle Friendly was handling things even if they weren’t entirely sure about his plan to put the Giants to sleep. The main problem seemed to be that no one else had any answers nor were they willing to take charge. Magic Rock hinted that he might be up for leading them, but without a better plan of action no one seemed very interested in supporting his coup.
After a few days Magic Rock sat down with Mr. Trinkets away from the main group to talk about what should be done.
“If we’re going to do something we need to do it soon,” Mr. Trinkets insisted.
“I know that, but what would you suggest? The Vendors all think Uncle Friendly is doing a fine job. No one suspects him of anything and I don’t have anything better to offer them anyway.” Magic Rock had become increasingly frustrated with the situation.
“Well, maybe taking over for Friendly isn’t what needs to be done.”
“What are you suggesting, Mr. Trinkets?” Magic Rock’s eyes narrowed.
“Maybe it’s time we left. We know Wonder is gone and every day it seems she’s less likely to return. There’s nothing for us here. Let Friendly have his group of Vendors. What harm can they do?”
“That’s just it; I’m not sure what harm they could do, but I’d rather be here to stop them from doing it! As far as we know this is the last group of sentient beings in Ur and you want to abandon them? No, we can’t leave. We have to stay and do what we can.”
“Do what we can about what, my dear Magic Rock?” Uncle Friendly’s voice oozed with false sweetness from behind Magic Rock whose eyes almost bulged out of his head at the sound.
“Uncle Friendly! I didn’t realize you were standing there.” He stammered as he spun around.
“No, I should think not.”
“Whatever you heard, I’m sure it’s just a misunderstanding.”
“And I’m sure it’s not. I heard enough to know you’re conspiring against me. Now why would you do that?”
“Conspiring? We—I—no, definitely not, it’s just—“Magic Rock was tripping over his words in a panic.
“Save it,” Uncle Friendly cut him off. “I’ve suspected you ever since I saw the Glitch talking to that Rook; I just hoped it wasn’t true. Well I’ve got more than enough evidence now.” Uncle Friendly pulled a cage from behind his back and in it was a very defeated looking Koro.
“You thought you were being very sneaky about this whole business I’m sure, but I’m sneakier. I’ve been watching you two over the last few days and the last time you met with this filthy bird I followed you. As soon as you left I laid a trap for it and here we are.”
Koro looked up at Magic Rock and Mr. Trinkets. “I’m sorry, guys. I tried to get away, but I wasn’t quick enough.”
“It’s OK Koro. You’ll be alright,” Mr. Trinkets reassured her, though he wasn’t so confident himself.
Uncle Friendly smiled menacingly at them. “Now, let’s go address the people, shall we?”

Uncle Friendly led Magic Rock and Mr. Trinkets to the steps at the foot of Jethimadh Tower holding Koro out in front of him like he might hold a lantern to light his path. Once they were all standing at the top of the stairs he called for the crowd’s attention, though it was unnecessary because the sight of a caged Rook was more than enough to silence the group.
“Attention, everyone! Attention! I’m afraid I have some dark news to announce.” He shot Magic Rock a sideways glance. “It seems some of our own have been conspiring against us!”
The Vendors looked around at each other confused.
“It seems that Magic Rock and his butler here don’t want Ur to be saved! They want to see this world destroyed, and you along with it! They want it so badly that they even conspired against us with the Rook!” At this last exclamation Uncle Friendly thrust the cage up high in front of him so that everyone could see. Koro squawked in surprise and the Vendors all became agitated at the sight.
Uncle Friendly pushed on. “Even worse, I’m afraid, is that young Wonder, who we sent into the tower with hopes of saving Ur, has fallen under the sway of the Rook as well.”
At this the crowd let out a collective gasp. It was one thing for butlers and Magic Rocks to work with the Rook, but it was utterly unthinkable that a Glitch should ever even consider it.
“Unfortunately our hopes of putting Ur back together with Wonder’s help have been dashed, but that doesn’t mean we are defeated. I have taken care of the Glitch-traitor myself and I am committed to finding a way to save our world if it takes me the rest of my life!”
Uncle Friendly was feeling quite pleased with himself, but before the crowd could react a voice interrupted from the back of the assembly.
“You’re wrong, Friendly!”
Everyone turned to see who was challenging Uncle Friendly’s authority, and there at the end of the street, with her own gathering of piggies, chickens, butterflies, batterflies, sloths, foxes, heli kitties and all other manner of creature, was Wonder.
“I’m sorry, but this world can’t be saved. Not in the way that you think. If you really want to be saved the Giants need to wake up, and I’m the one who has to do it.”



No comments:

Post a Comment