Monday, December 24, 2012

Chapter 1: First Steps


The Glitch stared blankly at the world around him for several minutes. His head was still spinning from the process of being freshly imagined and he wasn’t sure what to do just yet.
“I have a body, that’s important,” he thought. “Appendages in a useful number. Lots of skin, and in such a lovely color too. Is that yellow? Perhaps blue? I’m not quite sure which colors are which. That’s something to investigate later.” His mind was rapidly expanding to take in all the new information available to one so recently thought into existence.
“I suppose maybe I should try standing up,” he said aloud to no one in particular since no one was around to hear it anyway. “Hey! I can talk!” he exclaimed. “I’m sure this will come in most handy.”
He slowly got to his feet and did a few squats and leg bends to get a feel for his new legs. He turned and bent his arms at the elbows to test for range of motion. He flexed his fingers and toes. He opened his mouth and blinked his eyes. He tried to close his nose and ears, but nothing happened. “Must be defective,” he thought. “Oh well, nobody’s perfect.” He swiveled his neck and tried to take in the forest surrounding him. “What is this place?” he wondered aloud.
As he gazed at the trees and rocks, something caught his eye. His desire to investigate it immediately took over, except there was a problem. The thing, a small wooden box with a crank and some squiggles on the front, was over there, and he was over here. Being over here was all fine and well for a little while, but now he wanted to be over there and he wasn’t really sure how to make that happen.
“I would like to be over there, please, near that thing if you don’t mind.” He tried what he thought to be a very polite request, but nothing happened. Clearly that wasn’t the way of it. He thought for a moment and then it was obvious to him what the problem was, so he tried a different track.
“Please, if you would be so kind, I would like that thing to be here, near to me so that I may inspect it. Thank you.”
Nothing happened.
Well this was certainly disconcerting. “If I can’t be moved to it, and it won’t be moved to me, what other course of action can I take? I’m not sure I can be any more polite with my requests and I feel that yelling isn’t in my nature, though I may try it someday just for fun,” he thought.
Clearly no one was going to do the moving for him since there was no one around that he could see, so he devised a plan to lean, ever so slightly, toward the thing and hope that—well, hope that something would happen. He immediately put his plan into action and leaned just a little.
Just like that the thing was closer! He began feeling very clever and more than just a little pleased with himself, but it wasn’t enough. The thing was still some ways off and it wasn’t getting any closer. He leaned a little more, and it helped a bit, but he wasn’t sure how long he could keep this up.
He devised to lean just a little more, but as he did so something wholly unexpected happened.
He fell over.
I suppose it makes sense to you, but remember he was brand new to this world and had to figure things out on his own. There were no other Glitchen around to teach him how things like legs worked. Luckily there was someone else nearby watching his progress or this might have been a very long story.
As he lay on the ground wondering what just happened and feeling very disappointed in his spectacular failure he heard a voice.
“You’re not from around here are you?” it asked.
“Yes, as a matter of fact, I am,” he answered. “I’m from here. Right here on this very spot. I’ve been here all of my life.”
“That much I know. I was here when you got here. What I meant was you don’t have a clue what you’re doing.” The voice wasn’t mean, but it sounded a little uneasy.
“Oh, yes, you are right about that. I’ve only existed for—well I don’t know anything about time yet, but it can’t have been very long. I’m trying to look at that thing over there,” the Glitch shifted to pull his arm out from under him and point toward the object on the ground, “but I seem to be stuck on the ‘how-to’s’ of getting over to it—or getting it over here to me. Would you mind giving me a hand?” In the back of his mind the Glitch wondered about the voice that was speaking to him, but not knowing enough about voices he didn’t know to look for its source. Plus he was really very determined to see the matter through of investigating that thing on the ground.
“Very well, I’ll help you, but you have to promise to be nice to me.” The voice wavered a little as if unsure about how to proceed. “Do you promise?”
“Of course, why would I be mean? I’ve never been mean to anyone in my life and I don’t intend to start now. If you can help me I’ll be more than nice; I’ll be grateful!”
“Well, OK then.” There was a brief silence followed by a fluttering noise like something falling softly to the ground near the Glitch. “You know how to stand don’t you? Balance yourself on your legs? I saw you do it before.” The voice was much closer now to the Glitch’s right side.
“Yes, I do. It made me feel tall.”
“Alright, well, do that again. Stand up. Once you’ve done that, just move one foot in front of the other and keep your balance, like this.” And with that a large black bird moved into the Glitch’s field of view. It wasn’t the most graceful walk—a little stuttering perhaps—but it got the job done and was fine enough as an example. “Personally I never much cared for walking. Short distances, maybe, but flying is really the way to go. Why you Glitchen never learned how to fly I’ll never understand.”
The Glitch’s face lit up with understanding. He took to his feet with an exclamation of joy.
The bird let out a shriek and half-jumped, half-flew back a few feet. The Glitch slowly took one… two… three wobbly steps before stopping to steady himself. “It makes so much sense! How did I not see it before?” He turned to look at the bird and the bird was looking back at him in a manner that suggested it wasn’t sure if it should stay or fly out of there as fast as possible. For the moment curiosity was winning out over the flight instinct, but just barely. “Thank you! You’ve been a tremendous help!” And with that he turned back toward the object on the ground.
It took another three steps to get there and by that time the Glitch was quietly laughing at himself for being so foolish. “I could have never leaned this far. What was I thinking? What a silly idea!”
While the Glitch was busy examining the thing on the ground the black bird hopped a little bit closer and stared at him curiously.
“What do you think this thing is?” The Glitch had picked up the object and was turning it over in his hands. “It’s got some funny marks on the front and these little—“ Right at that moment the wooden box began playing a bright tune and the young Glitch discovered what a button was. “Hey! Listen to that! I just pushed this thing on the front and it made music! I like music I think.”
The bird was still staring at him. “You really don’t know anything about this place do you?”
The Glitch thought for a second. “Well, no, not really. I just woke up didn’t I? By the way, who are you? I should like to know who I have to thank for helping me out.”
The bird shifted uneasily. “I’m a—my name is Koro. It’s not really a name, really, it’s more of a rank, but it’s as good as a name now that I’m all that’s left.”
“All that’s left? What do you mean?”
Koro hopped a bit closer. “Well, my friends and family, all of my people, they’re gone from this world.”
The Glitch looked down at Koro sadly, “I’m sorry. That must be terrible to be all alone.”
“I think it will be, but it’s only just happened.”
The Glitch thought for a second. “Well, it’s a good thing I showed up. Now you don’t have to be alone anymore!”
Koro eyed him suspiciously. “That’s the thing. I’m not supposed to be here anymore, and neither are you. All your people disappeared as well. I think something’s gone wrong and now we’re the only ones left.”
The Glitch stood and stared back at Koro in shock. “There were others like me? And they’re gone? But why?”
Koro lowered her head. “I’m sorry, kid, it’s a long story.” She looked back up. “What’s your name anyway?”
The Glitch looked down at the music box in his hand. “You know what? I don’t know. You’re the first person I’ve ever talked to.” They stood in silence for a moment more before the Glitch looked up and really tried to take in the world around him for the first time. “I wonder what this place was like, you know, before everyone went away. I wonder if I would have liked it.”
“Hmm… wonder… sure why not? You’ve got a lot of questions and maybe I can help you out some, but for now you need a name, so how does Wonder sound? That seems like a good fit to me. What do you think?” Koro looked up expectantly.
The Glitch looked around and seemed to consider the name in his mind. “Wonder… yes. Yes I think I like that name quite a lot actually. Wonder. Wonder. wonder. WONDER! Wonder.” He continued to repeat his new name over and over in different ways as if trying it on for size. After a minute or so he turned back to Koro and smiled. “Wonder. I have a name and it’s Wonder! Thank you again, Koro. You are turning out to be really quite a good friend.”
If birds could smile Koro would have, and maybe she did, who’s to say? “Thank you, Wonder. So are you.”
“So, what do we do now?” Wonder asked with renewed excitement.
“That’s a good question. To be honest, I’m a bit out of my depth here. I’m not really sure what we should do, but maybe I can teach you some things while we’re figuring that out.”
“Really? I’d love to learn some new things. That walking bit was really spectacular!”
“Well, buddy, if you liked walking you’re going to LOVE jumping!”
“Jumping? What is that? It sounds fun.”
“Again, personally I prefer flying to jumping, but you Glitchen seemed to go absolutely crazy for jumping. It’s all I ever saw anyone do.”
“I can’t wait to try it out! How do I do it?”
“It’s easy, let me show you…”

No comments:

Post a Comment